Friday, January 23, 2009

What's new now: Making books and journals!

These are the books and journals I have been making, or trying my hand at, these last few days.



This one I had seen at an exhibition, and was intrigued by the way it folded into a small square. (See second picture).
I wanted to buy the book to figure out how it was folded, but my problem-solving husband assured me that he'd "got it" and in fact he had. So now I have got it too.
This one I learned online. It's a book you make with a post-it pad. It looks very cute, and you don't feel like using those post-it's.
This one was before I "got"the first one, and it turned out to look intriguing itself! In fact I now like it more than the other one, so I have named it Diamond Surprise! It can be hung up like an ornament.
You can use anything you find around the house to make your book cover. Then add a few blank pages and you have a unique book. I made this one using found objects. A pair of handles from a paper bag, the backing from a picture frame, a trinket, gold wire, and left over paper from the class.

This one I made at a bookmaking class I took. I wonder if I will be able to recreate that binding, but if I stare at it long enough, it will surely come back to me. Otherwise, there is always the problem-solver!

Another one from the class, I put a twist on the binding by adding some glass beads.
More to follow, as I keep trying!



2 comments:

Sush said...

I like diamond surprise. Sometimes I wonder who is the cleverer of the two. A.K. or you ? ;)

rauf said...

Dear Medha,
just saw your comment
please feel free to use any picture you like, you don't have to seek my permission
i can mail you higher resolution pictures

please check Ruth's blog
http://ruthie822.blogspot.com/
she has written a post on Journals
Your journals are incredibly beautiful.