Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Changing Light Bulbs

When we were in India, most of the bulbs were energy saving, cool white, fluorescent tubes. They rarely even had covers, and we all felt bright, energetic and enthusiastic even when evening came and night fell soon after. For the few months that we lived in Veraval, I felt dull and depressed in the evenings for no reason at all, apparently, till I realized that the kitchen and living room didn't have any "tubelights" but "yellow" bulbs. When we were kids, my brother and I had hated those things, and when we would visit homes of people who burned them instead of tubelights, we got headaches and eye pain.
After moving to the US I observed that yellow bulbs were in fact the norm, and not the exception, like the sole one I had at home inside a Pondicherry paper shade. In fact here in the US, tubelights were supposed to be industrial lighting, and in homes I saw them very rarely, and only in kitchens. Needless to say, I have been dull and depressed for eleven years. ELEVEN years! Till the new president came along and made tubelights seem cool. By the way, he also carries a Hanuman amulet, which probably endeared him a lot to many fellow Indians or fellows of Indian origin, and has also picked out a guy named Rahm whose name can be pronounced as Ram.
Back to the tubelights: After several trials with various fluorescent bulbs, some of which "burned the corneas" of our son, and some of which only lit up the space directly below them, we found the ones which may work. They come in packs of two, so dear hubby changed only two out of three on the island fixture till I was completely sure...
I am now, and our kitchen glows in the dark, literally.
I can now paint till midnight, and not have to guess at the colors.

2 comments:

rauf said...

Now you have cool energy saving LEDs. CFLs are supposed to be environmental hazards as they are toxic, contain high levels of mercury.

Sush said...

You are Green now, girlfriend. I totally relate to you and it was so funny when I went looking for a tubelight at Lowes and nobody understood. Ditto with "tap", I mimed "tap" and said beer tap, no dice. Finally I said faucet and a light went on in the sales guy's head. Americans and their limited vocabulary.. bah