Saturday, February 7, 2009

Three stages of a painting and giving it a title: The Outsider



The IBM doublespread ad in the Wall Street Journal had me sufficiently fascinated to want to do something.. First of all I wanted to be in that spot, Park Guell Barcelona, with a laptop, like that dude. I got my laptop, and I have now acted upon the inspiration from that picture.











Here you can see the first stage of my painting, ,when I drew just the balcony and the girl. Then I drew a pelican diagonally across from the girl, but somehow the proportions were wrong.

So I got rid of the pelican and added a dreamy seascape in the background.Again, the realistic notes of the background, and the fantasy elements of the foreground didn't match. The sea and mountains had to be changed, the background had seemed cut off from the rest of the picture, so I connected them all with the patterned river and the Arc de Triomphe-like structures across the hills.
Carried it squished in my van (the piece is 57" x 57") and hung it at Stir-Fry in Turkey Creek.
Imagine my delight to note that the distance between the crown molding and the top of the booths is exactly that much.
Will post pictures of how it looks in the restaurant soon.
Should have taken one instantly after it went up. Anyway.

2 comments:

rauf said...

designs are often inspired by nature. i can't say inspired, but certain things give us fresh ideas.
The painting has come out so good Medha, looks very pleasing to the eye.

Sush said...

The painting is beautiful, it was so interesting to see the "evolution of a painting"